Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Looky here, I got a new blog just for this class, awesome!!!
Ok, so now time to get serious and write a reaction to a Mashable.com article. I'm going to take a look at an article called "Psychologist: Facebook Makes You Smarter, Twitter Makes You Dumber." Give a click here if you want to read it.

As you can get from the title, the article talks about how Facebook can be healthy for you mind while twitter can do the opposite. Dr. Alloway found that during developing a memory training program for children with that learn slower than other that Facebook helped with their memory and IQ scores while YouTube and Twitter were not. She also found that video games, especially strategic ones, can also be beneficial.

I found this article to be very interesting. I think that whether these websites can help or hurt really depends on how they are used. I would imagine that youtube could be very helpful or hurtful depending on the content that you watch. Also, I can understand how facebook could be beneficial for memory, due to all the options that the site gives you. I can't really say that if facebook has really improved my memory, but I can say that I do know a lot more about my friends as well as I think facebook has also let me know myself a bit better.

Twitter, on the other hand, I can also understand. I find twitter to be a whole lot of nothing. It is simple. It's an never ending feed of pointless (mostly) pointless information. Although I would think that if kept in moderation that it would hardly cause much harm. Also, I would think that if all you do if facebook all day that it probably wouldn't do much good for you, both mentally and physically. All in all, I think that this article provided a pretty interesting insight, it I guess it didn't really give me anything new, besides maybe a little more bit of knowledge to make fun of twitter for. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment